As a tiny digital agency based in Durban South Africa, we try our level best to stay up to date with digital marketing trends as they emerge.
In most cases we as people working in the agency have reasonable success, however when speaking to our clients the story changes drastically.
One of the things that we try and stay abreast of is digital marketing acronyms.
These are the 3 and 4-letter abbreviations that are thrown around like kids’ in dodgem cars. You’ve probably heard some of them used by your tech savvy buddies, for example SEO or CRM. These are – in many instances – not even understood by the very people that use them ad nauseum. So we here at Durban’s tiny digital marketing agency decided to put together a list of digital marketing acronyms and abbreviations that you may encounter in your discourse with one of those guys or girls who want to come across like “they know”. Here’s that list:
- OS – Operating System
- B2B – Business to Business
- B2C – Business to Consumer
- CPC – Cost Per Click
- CPM – Cost Per Thousand
- CRM – Customer Relationship Management
- FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
- ISP – Internet Service Provider
- RT – Retweet
- PPC – Pay Per Click
- SaaS – Software as a Service
- RSS – Real Simple Syndication
- SEM – Search Engine Marketing
- SEO – Search Engine Optimization
- SERP – Search Engine Results Page
- URL – Uniform Resource Locator
- ORM – Online Reputation Management
- UX – User Experience
- WYSIWYG – What You See Is What You Get
- CTA – Call To Action
- FB – Facebook
- CSS – Cascading Style Sheets
- FTP – File Transfer Protocol
- SME – Small or Medium Enterprise
We would have loved to go deeper into each one of these digital marketing acronyms and tell you a little bit more, but we’re an digital agency and the meanings of and expansion on these acronyms and abbreviations is a subject for a follow-up blog post. We want to divulge these things in bit sized chunks. That way you can digest it slowly and thoroughly.
If you can think of any other digital marketing acronyms that we have left out, feel free to use the comment section below to school us.